8.24.2010

Cee-Lo- "F**k You" VIDEO

Oh. My. God. This is the best song of the year, and it couldn't have come from someone more deserving.

Cee-Lo has long established his name as a soul man that has one foot in Memphis and the other in Mars, from his left-field raps on Goodie Mob's seminal debut Soul Food to his wildly underrated album Cee-Lo Green...Is the Soul Machine to his eventual star turn as one-half of the duo Gnarls Barkley. However, he has never consistently shown the potential he has flashed–until now.

"Fuck You," the first single off his upcoming album The Ladykiller, is simply Cee-Lo at his finest-meaning he is arguably unequaled. The song opens with a bouncy piano riff as The Soul Machine croons a tongue-in-cheek kiss-off to a girl who dropped him for someone with more cash. Then after two bars, a positively vicious Hammond slices through his voice, closely followed by a full male chorus for an enormous swell of defiance.

My heart is pounding writing about this song. This is how I felt when I first heard Aretha Franklin, Parliament, Marvin Gaye, The Ramones, etc. and with this gorgeous three-minute epic, Cee-Lo has shown he can be in their company. I use hyperbole a lot, but I can't right now. I'm simply blown away. Here it is, with lyrics:

No comments:

Post a Comment